Black, Charcoal and Winter White nail polish trends everyone can wear!
Black, gray and white are year round colors that take on a new twist each season. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up or find the right one for you. We’re going to review our top four favorite shades, ways to wear them and how to find what’s right for you.
Classic Shiny Black
Shiny black manis started as a fashionable trend a few years ago and have since earned their place as an edgy statement color that goes with EVERYTHING. Around the world, trendsetters, fashionistas and working gals alike have added a shiny black manicure to their manicure repertoire. A simple, chic look with a shiny top coat is our fave black polish look. Top styles for this look:
- Work: Red power suit or slacks with a light camisole topped with a camel blazer provide a subtle statement and can serve as an accessory – imagine both of these outfits with naked nails…we’d rather not
- Casual: Black jeans with a white tank and denim jacket or blue jeans with a fluffy sweater in any color will give you a pulled together look even if you’re in your sneakers.
- Dinner Date or Night Out: Any jewel tone top or dress, or anything lacey looks gorgeous with a shiny black mani. Gold or silver jewelry add extra pops of shine.
*Avoid wearing with an all black ensemble as you may look a little too monotone.
Silver, gray or black metallic nail polish is a fun edgy twist to darker shades. The colors are not as intense and the subtle sparkle adds a bit of whimsy to make the finish a bit more interesting than the usual shine.
- Work: Navy blazer or suit, pink or berry top or dress with gray or charcoal shoes pulls together a professional, stylish work look. Keep your accessories minimal for a chic look.
- Casual: Dark denim with a bold top offers a nice contrast to the metallic finish – bonus if your jewelry metal matches your polish metal.
- Dinner Date or Night Out: If you’ve seen any of the award shows (Oscars, Grammys, etc) you know metallic goes with ANYTHING shiny (pearls, sequins, silk).
*We also love metallic polishes for nail art dots!
This medium gray reminds us of our favorite London Fog coat or warm wool sweater. It has all the feels of “sweater weather” without the pumpkin spice latte.
- Work: A hunter green or plum purple top, suit or dress would look amazing with this deep smokey tone would be gorgeous for Fall.
- Casual: Any casual outfit goes with this color and our favorites are vegan leather leggings with gray riding boots.
- Dinner date or Night Out: Black, white or any Fall tones coordinate well with a shiny charcoal polish.
We’re not talking a bold bright white, but rather a softer shade with a bit of a pearl finish. When Fall and Winter seasons bring out our darker style trends a lighter accessory like a winter white polish is a fun and easy way to lighten up your look. Added benefit for this color is that chips are less noticeable – sign us up!
- Work: Wear with ANY outfit in ANY color. This neutral can easily be worn with all colors and styles in your work wardrobe. You’ll have a pulled together look without having to give your nails a second thought.
- Casual: We’re loving this white as a contrast to your darker pieces, wearing a lot of black or navy? This is a stylish way to brighten them up.
- Dinner Date or Night Out: A chic winter white jumpsuit, silk blouse or anything cashmere.
*If you have a busy week and your nails can’t be your priority – this shade lends itself to reapply another coat to cover a chip on a single nail . Which means you can keep going and the nail with the extra coat is hardly noticeable.
Top It Off
And to “top off” any of these classics a glitter top coat can change the look completely, giving you a gorgeous glamour loo.
Bonus tip: A glitter top coat extends the life of your mani, resulting in easier mani maintenance! Ever notice how difficult it is to remove some glitter polishes? The ‘chunkier’ the glitter the more difficult it is to remove. We prefer a fairy dust weight glitter. Its long wearing and not so difficult to remove. Make sure you do your homework with your glitter polishes. If you’re not sure, you should contact the company. Taylor Made Polish uses these and will be launching a holiday pack this season – we can’t wait!
Great Nails Are For Everyone
We love talking all things nails – especially when it comes to classic colors! Planning your manis should be simple. Our philosophy is great nails are for everyone. We also know one size fits none.
So we re-thought the entire model of mass-beauty to create nail polish opportunities that are one-in-a-million. It’s a radically custom approach: we curated nail polish kits that allow you to find your true hue, combining natural ingredients, and proven long-lasting color to create a truly personal nail polish experience.
Healthy for you. Safe for the planet. Fun for all.
Can’t find your perfect classics? Our make your own nail polish kits are for you! Check them out here. What’s your favorite? Leave a comment. Or better yet, want to share your mani with us? Follow us on Facebook and Instagram and tag us or use the hashtag #myopkits!